The Season 2016/17 Women’s Skills Masterclass Series has come to a close after an astounding four weeks of participation, skills building and fun.
OUR FIRST 2016/17 MASTERCLASS PARTICIPANTS
Over the four weeks the program featured:
– Over 170 female participants
– Aged from 13 to 64 years of age
– 85% were new to the game of cricket and have never played before
– Within the 170 participants, there were 120 activations (the extra 50 were repeat attendances)
From these Masterclasses we are moving into our standard season, where we have 11 teams from 11 different clubs within North Metro Cricket Association playing across two different divisions. Many of the teams have squads of 14 to 20 women.
CHERVON MAHER FROM THE CAMERONETTES – HAVING A VERY GOOD TIME!
Last year we ran these sessions in between our seasons however this year we moved them to the start of the season and this has assisted us in the following ways:
– creating a social and supportive network for all players from all teams (we know that the number 1 reason women play sport is for social reasons – so this is key for us!)
– allowing clubs who had 4 to 5 players to provide training opportunities for their teams in a large group environment (training with 4 to 5 can be a bit disheartening at the start of a season!)
– allowing players to grasp the fundamentals of catching, running between wickets, batting, bowling and team work in a contained, weather free environment
We were incredibly lucky to receive funding support from Darebin Council and Northcote Indoor Sports Centre, as well as the Guest Appearances from players arranged through the Australian Cricketers Association. Without this support, wonderful programs such as this simply do not happen!
The players and teams are now pumped and ready for an amazing outdoor season!
PLAYERS AT OUR WEEK 2 MASTERCLASS